What is a Wellness Coordinator?
Wellness Coordinator, Kara Roberts, is a state certified occupational therapist who works in our Memory Care neighborhood at Cherrywood Pointe of Plymouth. Kara works alongside our care staff providing real time coaching and best practices leading to a tailored care approach, which maximizes independence and well-being for our residents in the Dimensions neighborhood.
Why utilize an occupational therapist?
Kara’s expertise is in finding creative solutions to functional problems. As we age, there can be many different conditions that older adults deal with – low vision, mobility issues, cognitive changes. “My role as an occupational therapist is to find ways to adapt a person’s environment to help them reach their highest level of independence and quality of life,” she says. “As care staff working in a memory care setting, we are a part of the environment for our residents.”
What does a Wellness Coordinator do?
Kara is trained to coach our care staff on physical approaches and communication strategies, to create meaningful connections and relationships with people living with dementia. In addition to this, Kara also:
- Teaches communication approaches to residents’ family members through education sessions, in support groups, during family visits and at family nights.
- Oversees Ebenezer’s Dimensions Program® at Cherrywood Pointe, which involves the implementation of cognitive assessments and tailoring approaches based on each resident’s needs.
- Collaborates with the Ebenezer nursing team on care planning.
- Collaborates with the AccentCare Fairview Home Health & Hospice team to implement recommendations that have been made for individual residents.
- Collaborates with the activities staff to design programming around residents’ abilities.
Kara graduated from the University of North Dakota with a Bachelor’s degree in General Studies and a Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy. Since graduating, she has been working with the geriatric population to encourage individuals to reach their highest level of independence and quality of life. At Cherrywood Pointe, she builds positive working relationships with the residents, families, and staff. Outside of work, Kara enjoys reading, baking, boxing, traveling, and spending time with family. She lives in Maple Grove with her husband, Patrick, who is a Clinical Psychologist.